Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Introducing "Things I Am Rembering"

Since the death of my mother a year ago, and while going through photographs and other extended family memorabilia from her house, I have again realized that she was one of the last of her generation in our families.  Only her brother Bub Nunn and sister-in-law Cora Ziebarth remain.  And neither of them is a reliable and accessible source of memories and information.  Therefore I have decided to use this format to write down the ‘things I am remembering’ while reviewing these materials and thinking about the stories and memories that were passed to me so that if anyone in the generations after mine is interested, some records from those times will be left.  These will be my personal memories, including those from and about members of my parents’ generation, Dad’s brother and sister and Mother’s brothers and sister and their respective husbands and wives.  They are the ones from whom I heard the stories of the families’ past.  I do not remember any of my grandparents as great story tellers.  So there will memories about them but not many from them.  Except for my brother Tim there has not been much contact with others of my generation since childhood.  Memories from our childhoods about cousins in the Ziebarth and Nunn families are about all I can expect.  If any of them, or others, become followers of this process and send me additions, corrections, or embellishments those could be included later.
I don’t expect these postings to be in any logical or chronological order.  I intend to make them as I am triggered to remember, by pictures I am scanning or reviewing, conversations with my brother Tim or my wife Charlotte, or whatever other memories occur.  Free association from one memory to the next will be expected and frequent.  I will try to include dates when possible so possibly they can be reorganized chronologically some time.  When a specific picture or document is the source I will include that, or at least a link to a source location.  Pictures are being stored in the Picassa program and may be uploaded as Web Albums.  I don’t work on scanning with any regular schedule, so postings will be sporadic.  I am likely to get on a roll and add something every day or so for a while, and then to get distracted as life happens for a while.  But among the materials from Mother’s house, other extended family pictures, and my own family pictures and materials from our house there will always be something for me to review and remember.