Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Families

As I said in the introduction, these memories will mainly be from or about members of the Nunn and Ziebarth families, from my and the preceding generation, that I knew while growing up.  For clarity here is a list of those people in my past:
On the Nunn side, my grandparents were Audman (Aud) and Hattie Nunn.  Aud passed away when I was in grade school so I have few memories of him.  Hattie attended our wedding in 1964 and died later that year at age 80.  She lived in Miles City, a block from our house when I was in high school and junior high, so I knew her well.  There were 6 surviving children in the family. 
Leighton Nunn was the oldest, a few years older than my father.  He married a neighbor, Mildred Johnson.  They lived at Fort Keogh near Miles City when I was in school and we visited them often.  They had 4 children, Larry and Gene are older than I so did not have much interaction as a child.  Irmalyn (Irma) is slightly older than I, but was in high school with me.  Joan(ie) is the same age as my brother Tim.
Donald Nunn was approximately the same age as my father Harold.  He married a neighbor, Viola Wilson.  They lived near us in North Dakota, but moved to Idaho and Washington where we visited occasionally.   Their son Roy was born 10 days after me.  They had two later children, younger than Tim or I.  Jimmy died in a high school football accident.  Their daughter is Kathy.
Annanelle Nunn Ziebarth, my mother, was next.  She married a neighbor, my father Harold.  My brother Tim and I are the rest of their family.
Ruth Nunn Andrews was three years younger than Annanelle.  She married Robert (Bob) Andrews from Power, Montana.  I believe she met him while teaching in that area.  They lived near Fairfield, Montana and we saw them on holidays, often Thanksgiving or when they visited Hattie in Miles City.  They had 4 children, Russell is the same age as Tim.  Deborah (Debbie) is a little younger but I remember her as a child.  Mark and Craig are younger and I did not know them, but met Craig later when he was married in Boulder.
John Nunn was next.  He married another neighbor, LaDelphia Barnhart from Medora.  They lived in Idaho where we visited occasionally, then moved to North Dakota and Canada.  John was in the Air Corps during WWII and flew ‘over the hump’ from Burma to China.  He was killed in a ranch accident.  They had 4 children, Michael (Buck(y)) is between my and Tim’s age.  Twins Lee and Lynn are just younger than Tim, and Susanne slightly younger again.  Susanne (King) is a teacher and lives in Miles City.
Bub (Gerald) Nunn is the youngest.  He married a woman we knew as ‘Pat’.  She had a previous daughter Judy who is my age.  We were in grade school together before they moved to the Winnett, Montana area after about grade 4.  Bub and Pat had 4 sons, Jess, Jerry, Jay, and Joel.  All are enough younger that I did not know them as children.  After Pat’s death, Bub married Winona (Nona).  They later moved to a ranch outside Miles City.  He is now in an assisted living center near Miles City. 

On the Ziebarth side, my grandparents were Adolph and Addie Ziebarth.  They remained on the farm near Beach, North Dakota until I was in high school.  I had a lot of interaction visiting them and remember them well then and after they moved to Beach.  There were 3 surviving children in this family.
Milton Ziebarth was the oldest.  He married Cora Davis from Sidney, Montana who lived with Adolph and Addie as a teacher in the nearby country school.  He was in the WWII military when I was born and they moved to southern California after his discharge.  We visited them several times and they frequently returned to visit.  There are two adopted children Gary and Robin.  Both are younger than Tim or I, so I only knew them then as visiting children.  I have made re-connection with Robin and Gary as adults.  Cora is now in assisted living in the California Bay Area.
Harold Ziebarth, my father, and a twin brother Harvey were the next.  Harvey died in infancy.  Harold married a neighbor, my mother Annanelle Nunn.  My brother Tim and I are the rest of their family.
Margaret Ziebarth Hammar was the youngest.  She married Robert (Bob) Hammar from Nebraska, I believe when she was attending York College.  They moved to Oregon and then southern California.  We visited them several times and they frequently returned to visit.  They had 3 children.  Bob(by)  (Robert Jr,) is a year older than I.  He visited our grandparents during the summer for several years.  Tim and I frequently joined him (separately) in those visits for farm adventures.  Jim(my) was approximately Tim’s age.  He was killed in Viet Nam.  Karen was the youngest.  All three of them lived with us in Miles City for one school year, (possibly grade 2?) while Margaret recovered from difficulty adapting to Bob’s polio and resulting paralysis.
There will be pictures and more details about many of these people as the blog proceeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment